- In 1709 Bartolomeu de Gusmão demonstrated before the King of Portugal the power of hot air to lift.
- In 1863, just after the Union victory at Gettysburg, Gen. Robert E. Lee submitted his resignation to Confederate President Jefferson Davis (his resignation was not accepted).
- In 1911 Francis Holdton submitted would be the nation's 1,000,000th patent (it was for tubeless tires).
- In 1945 the Soviet Union declared war on Japan.
- Also in 1945, the United States joined the United Nations.
- In 1974 President Richard Nixon announced that he would resign the presidency at noon the following day.
- And in 2000 a submarine, the H. L. Hunley was raised from the floor of the Atlantic Ocean just off the coast of Charleston, SC. The last time the Hunley had been seen was as it quietly pulled away from the shore on the evening that it successfully sank the
Friday, August 06, 2010
Did You Know #29
The eighth day of August is a special day in our national, and even our world's history. Consider just a few of the reasons why this is true ...